Advisory provides social, academic and emotional support for the student body through the development of relationships with a key adult figure and a small peer group. The program enables students to develop moral character, confidence, independence and responsibility.
Advisory creates a safe environment for each student to express themselves openly, overcome academic challenges, form positive relationships, and become a responsible young adult. Each student will have one teacher who takes a special interest in all aspects of the student’s life at Milken, and who is responsible for initiating efforts for the student’s welfare. The advisory peer group will serve as a a cohesive community to support one another, celebrate accomplishments, and face challenges.
- Facilitates communication between the students, faculty, administration and parents.
- Cultivates students who collaborate effectively, value community, engage in positive acknowledgment and constructive criticism, and perform acts of loving kindness (Gemilut Hasadim).
- Provides a context to discuss the values and culture of the school.
- Creates a unique student/teacher relationship that works to foster and support the whole child.
- Builds a meaningful learning profile for each student.
- Strengthens Milken through the building of strong, intimate communities in the school.